Wanda and Chester Poniakowski moved into their home near the corner of Thompson Road and Erie Boulevard in 1927. Shortly after Chester passed away in 1941, Wanda turned the main floor of their house into Wanda's Restaurant. Wanda sold the property to Anthony Italiano in 1968, who turned it into a dance club called Yellow Balloon. A stage was added to the club at this time. In 1975, Greg Italiano took over management of the club and re-named it The Lost Horizon.
The Lost Horizon has been home to many famous national acts, as well as many local artists. Many consider the club's heyday to be in the 1980s and early 90s. We won't talk about the time the club was called 32 Degrees and Club Tundra in the 2000s. It now is back to having the classic Lost Horizon name, and continues to host local and national acts.
Many of the pictures included on this page are courtesy of long time Lost Horizon employee Patti Gonyea. Click here to check out an episode of the Syracuse Nostalgia Podcast featuring a lengthy interview with Patti about the Lost Horizon.